The Undergraduate Research Symposium presenters are given an opportunity to nominate their mentor for the Outstanding Undergraduate Research Mentor Award. The Outstanding Undergraduate Research Mentor Award recognizes faculty who has demonstrated excellence in mentoring and supporting undergraduate researchers.
Strong nominations will demonstrate excellence in mentoring by supporting and influencing students’ educational and career paths. Examples may include peer-reviewed publications involving undergraduates; student presentations, awards, or scholarships; and evidence of continued success of mentored students. Excellent undergraduate mentors support students through their availability, attentiveness, encouragement, and understanding.
The awardee will be recognized at the Undergraduate Research Symposium on Wednesday, April 15th during the Reception and Awards Ceremony.
Nominations deadline is March 27, 2020, click here to submit your nominated faculty or post-doctoral fellow!
Nominations may be submitted electronically. The nominee for this award must either be a faculty or a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Virginia. The items listed below need to be included with each nomination, uploaded as one PDF when completing the form. The deadline for nominations is March 27, 2020.
- Nomination letter or optional form, if desired: (Maximum of three pages in length). Letters should describe the following qualities that make the nominee an outstanding research/creative activities mentor:
- How the mentor has actively encouraged inquiry, innovation, and created opportunities for students to do research/creative activity.
- How the mentor has supported and influenced students’ educational and career paths (presentation and publication opportunities, planning for continued research and/or graduate studies).
- Give examples of any other attributes or actions that make this mentor truly exceptional.
- Supporting Letter(s): (Maximum of three letters). Letters can be from current or former students who were mentored by the nominee, colleagues, supervisors, or others within the university community in a position to provide support of the mentor's impact.
- Current Vita/Resume: Submit a current vita/resume for the nominee with names of all students mentored.