Research Programs at UVA
This page is intended for students interested or participating in summer research programs hosted by the University of Virginia. Please use the “Other Opportunities” tab to find programs, scholarships, and fellowships hosted by other institutions and organizations.
Each program is unique, and students are encouraged to learn more about the programs by following the links below to their respective websites. Applications to these programs are competitive, and many have early spring deadlines. We encourage interested students to explore these pages sooner, rather than later.
- VA-NC Alliance Summer Research Program – Deadline: February 1st, 2021
- Leadership Alliance Summer Research Early Identification Program (SR-EIP) at the University of Virginia - Deadline: February 1st, 2021
- University of Virginia School of Medicine’s Summer Research Internship Program - Deadline: February 1st, 2021
- Summer Diabetes Research Internship - Deadline: February 15th, 2021
- Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) in Multi-Scale Systems Bioengineering and Biomedical Data Sciences - Deadlines: February 15th, 2021 (priority), March 1st, 2021 (final)
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Program: Number Theory, Representation Theory, and Topology - Deadline: February 15th, 2021
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site Program: Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at University of Virginia’s Blandy Experimental Farm - Deadline: February 15th, 2021
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site Program: Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior Field Research at Mountain Lake Biological Station - Deadline: February 20th, 2021
- University of Virginia Summer Medical Leadership Program - Deadline: March 31st, 2021
Information for Summer Researchers
Resource List | Please click here to download a compilation of resources, tools, and opportunities designed to help undergraduate researchers during their project and program.
Summer Enrichment Opportunities for Undergraduate Researchers
Students participating in summer research at UVA are invited to attend the events below (all held virtually) to supplement their experience.
7th June | Undergraduate Research Summer Orientation and Meet & Greet – 2 p.m.
In this session we will introduce students to resources and opportunities available to them to support and enrich their summer experience, guide them through using UVAs library and databases online, and will conclude with games and socializing to foster inter-program connections.
21st June | Behind the Paywall - 4 p.m.
This workshop will cover accessing library databases as well as using reference management applications like Zotero to stay organized throughout the research process.
24th June | Effective Data Management and Statistical Resources - 4 p.m.
This workshop will introduce students to tools and principles to make data analysis cleaner, easier, and reproducible.
24th June | Virtual Escape Room – 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
This opportunity is intended for students to mix up their evening routine and spend time with each other solving puzzles, riddles, and mysteries.
28th June | Fellowships Workshop – 4 p.m.
Don’t know what fellowships are or how to get started? This session will introduce opportunities available for students and will help attendees think about their own professional development.
9th July | Preparing a Research Presentation Workshop – 4 p.m.
This workshop will teach students how to prepare an effective and engaging research talk and will address considerations for presentations that are virtual in format.
15th July | Graduate Resource Fair – 3 to 5 p.m.
During this session, students will have the opportunity to connect with graduate program representatives to learn about admissions, funding opportunities, and graduate student life on Grounds at the University of Virginia.
19th July | Resumes - 4 p.m.
During this workshop students will learn about crafting an effective resume, and will have an opportunity to reflect on and revise their own resume or CV.
Questions about applications or program details should be directed to the contact indicated on the program’s webpage.